A Red Ensign defaced with the Shield of Arms of Bermuda.
While the flag of Bermuda has been in use since the Coat of Arms were assigned by Royal warrant on October 4, 1910, the flag itself was never formally adopted or authorized by any governing body until 1967. [Flags Over Bermuda, Michel R. Lupant]
In 1999, the Ministry of Defence's department in charge of flags (DCTA), in consultation with the College of Arms, noted that the badges used on British flags were too small to be reliably identified at sea. Furthermore, recent flags approved by the Queen bore larger crests and there was an inconsistency between older and newer flags. For that reason, the Shield of Arms on the Bermuda flag was resized to a larger aspect ration of 34:27 on a flag measured 60:120.